There’s no ‘I’ in team!
You simply can’t run a business on your own.
Depending on your viewpoint, a team can make or break a business. My perspective is that if you build and treat your team well, they in turn treat your customers and suppliers well, the business succeeds and your job becomes easier. It’s a no-brainer!
So, how do you build a successful team?
It will take time, effort and investment. Here are some of the fundamentals:
- Clear vision and goals
- Specific roles
- Strong communication
- Foster teamwork
- Reward and incentivise
- Provide strong leadership
Once you’ve got the fundamentals in place, how will you know that your team is operating well? Simple – observe (others will tell you also). Here’s what you ideally want to see/hear:
- Strong work ethic – people going above and beyond their job role
- Strong communication and teamwork towards a common goal
- Learning from mistakes and making improvements
- Celebration – they celebrate each other’s success/wins
- Feedback – from other team members, from customers and suppliers
Ok, so you’ve got the fundamentals in place and you’ve observed some/all of the above. What other benefits can a successful team bring to you and your business? The answer – lots! Here are just some of them:
- Strong culture and morale
- Greater innovation
- Increased productivity
- More sales and profits
- Raving customers
I can’t stress enough the importance that a team will have on your businesses success. Believe me when I tell you it’s well worth the effort you initially will need to put to build and develop them. Do it right though, and the rewards will well outweigh the benefits you will reap.